Louisiana Acupuncture BoardPO Box 54403 New Orleans, LA 70154-4403 Phone: 504.599.0503
Acupuncture licensing in Louisiana is regulated by the Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners-Integrative and Complementary Medicine Committee. Applicants must meet all requirements and pass a criminal background check in order to become licensed acupuncturists.
General Licensing Requirements in Louisiana
Applications for acupuncture licensing in Louisiana can be retrieved online from the official Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners Licensing website. Specific criteria must be met in order to receive acupuncture licensing in Louisiana. All applicants must be current physicians licensed to practice medicine in Louisiana. They must also have received at least six months of training in traditional Chinese acupuncture by a school or clinic approved by the Board. In addition, applicants must complete 300 category 1 credit hours of continuing medical education in acupuncture. No state examinations are required.
Once the Board receives all application materials, applicants are required to schedule a personal appearance with a member of the Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners. Original documents of diplomas, Visas, and marriage licenses with name changes must be presented during the personal appearance appointment.
Acupuncturist Application Rules
The application should be typed or block printed. All documents must be signed in blue or black ballpoint pen. Each applicant must also print their last name at the top of each page of the application. The following documents are required to be submitted in English with each application packet:
- Oath or affirmation (notarized)
- Third party authorization (notarized)
- Certificate of completion for acupuncture school
- 1 Recent photograph
- All applicants must submit an original or certified copy of their birth certificate. People born outside of the US can submit one of the following:
- Original certificate of Naturalization
- Certified birth certificate
- Immigration and Naturalization issued Visa
Criminal background checks are conducted by the Louisiana Department of Public Safety and Corrections and the Federal Bureau of Investigations on all applicants. It is the responsibility of each applicant to go submit their fingerprints to the Board. The Baton Rouge State Police Office offers digital fingerprinting and is recommended for those seeking a faster turnaround. Ink fingerprinting can be done at other state police and sheriff offices but can take 3-6 weeks. Applicants can also use other fingerprinting service providers, although this process can take anywhere from 6-12 weeks.
If fingerprints are not digital and sent by electronic submission, two completed fingerprint cards must be submitted to the Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners.
Renewal, Continuing Education, and Fees
Acupuncturists must submit applications and fees for renewal on an annual basis no later than December 31st. A minimum of 20 hours of category 1 credit is required for renewals unless exempt.
- Background check: $45.25 payable to the Department of Safety and Corrections (money order/ business check/cashier’s check only)
- New application: $200 payable to Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners (check/money order only)
- Renewal application: $100 payable to Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners (check/money order only)